- To Enable Hardware Video Decoding in Steam -> Open steam settings -> Click on Interface and check the box next to Enable hardware video decoding, if supported (require Restart) option and restart steam.
- To disable steam -> Click on Steam menu on top -> Go to Settings -> Click on Interface and uncheck the box -> Enable hardware video decoding, if supported (require Restart) and restart steam.
On your windows 11 or 10 computer if you want to disable or enable hardware video decoding in steam then you can easily do that by just following these simple steps.
Once you enable hardware video decoding on steam then when playing games on steam it will render video hd and process hd videos and run other task easier and sometime due to this option enabled this will delay as well depending on your computer or ram usage.
VD - Disabled
Enable or Disable Hardware Video Decoding In Steam
Follow below methods to enable or disable hardware video decoding in steam.
Enable Hardware Video Decoding In Steam
Step 1: Open Steam on windows 11 or 10 computer.
Step 2: Click on steam on top left corner and select settings.
Step 3: Click on Interface on left side menu in Steam settings
Step 4: Check the box next to -> Enable hardware video decoding, if supported (require Restart) option.
Step 5: Click on Ok and Restart Steam.
That’s it, once you enable hardware video decoding on your steam then you need to restart your steam and once it restarts then hardware video decoding in steam will be enabled.
1) How to Fix Unable to Initialize SteamAPI Error on Windows 11 or 10
2) How to Fix Could Not Connect to the Steam Network
3) How to Change Steam Download Folder Location on Windows 10 or windows 11
4) How to Fix Steam API dll is Missing Windows 11 / Windows 10
5) How to Backup and Restore Your Games on Steam
Turn off or Disable Hardware Video Decoding on Steam
Step 1: Open steam
Step 2: Click on Steam menu and Go to Settings
Step 3: Now, click on Interface
Step 4: Check the box next to Enable hardware video decoding, if supported and click on ok and restart your steam.
That’s it, once you disable or turn off steam hardware video decoding option and restart then your hardware video decoding on steam will be disabled.
Should I turn hardware acceleration on Steam?
Unless you are having issues with hardware acceleration on steam when playing games and having issues you should not turn off and if you are having issues then you need to disable and turn off hardware acceleration on steam which wil fix video rendering or delay issues when processing hd videos on steam.
If you have enabled it and having trouble playing games or delayed or game rendering issues or delay issues or any graphic card issues then disable it and enabling hardware acceleration will help rendering videos fast depending on graphics drivers installed on your computer.
If steam graphic cards are not supported error when playing games then you need to update your graphic card drivers to latest version and fix the issue with steam graphic drivers.