- Open windows task manager and right click on windows file explorer and select restart and wait for windows file explorer to restart.
- Run sfc scannow and wait for system file checker to complete and restart your windows computer and run CHKDSK.
- Run DISM command restore health in command prompt and Disable fast startup in power options and restart your windows computer.
On your windows 11 or 10 computer if you are experiencing issues and getting an error message like fail fast exception error occurred. Exception handlers will not be invoked and the process will be terminated immediately error messages will pop up when you try to open a program on your windows 11 or 10 computer or when you try to open a game or launch a game on steam or any other game and this error can be fixed easily. So, let’s see in detail below.
Fail fast exception is an error which is a user mode application and you need to terminate windows file explorer and run sfc scan and disable fast startup option other methods and get rid of fail fast exception error.
Fix Fail Fast Exception Error on Windows
Below windows 11 or 10 troubleshooting methods will help you fix fail fast exception errors easily with these quick and easy solutions.
Restart Windows file Explorer Using Task Manager
- Right click on windows task bar and click on task Manager
- Now, Click on performance tab
- Scroll down and find Windows Explorer Right click on it and click on Restart.
- Wait for your windows taskbar to restart.
That’s it, once you restart windows file explorer then your issue of fail fast exception occurred error in windows computer will be fixed.
Using System File Checker SFC Scannow Command
- Search for command prompt in windows search and right click on it and select run as administrator.
- Now, type in sfc /scannow and hit enter and wait for windows to check for any corrupted or damaged file and replace it with the original windows file during sfc scan.
Once you execute sfc scan (system file checker) then your issue of fail fast exception error will be resolved and you will not receive any pop up windows fail fast exception error on windows 11 or 10 computer.
- Click on search icon and search for command prompt and click on and select run as administrator.
- Now, in cmd -> type in chkdsk and hit enter and wait for the scan to complete and fix any disk error.
Once the chkdsk scan completes then you wont see any pop up error of Fail Fast Exception Error on your windows 11 or 10.
DISM Restore Health
- Open command prompt as administrator and click on yes in UAC command prompt window.
- Now, type in -> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit enter and wait for windows to restore health and cleanup image and wait for dism scan to complete.
Once your DISM restore health completes then go ahead and restart your windows computer and error message Fail Fast Exception Error will not pop up any more.
Disable Fast Startup in System Settings
- Open control panel on your computer and Go to Power options or just press windows key + R and your keyboard and enter powercfg .cpl and hit enter or press ok.
- Now, click on change power what power option buttons do on left side menu
- Click on Show additional plans drop down menu and uncheck turn on fast startup (recommended) option.
That’s it, this is how you disable fast startup in control panel settings / power option and get rid of fail fast exception occurred on windows computer.
A fail fast exception occurred Excel
When you open excel sheet and you are getting a fail fast exception error when opening excel excel .exe – fail fast exception then you need to restart windows file explorer in task manager and disable fast startup and run sfc scan and chkdsk to fix this issue.
What is fail fast exception error on windows
This fail fast exception is different from other exception handlers and it’s a exception made by user mode applications and nothing to worry when you see this error and nothing happens with this error and its just saying that fail fast exception occurred you need to restart windows explorer and run sfc scannow and other methods will easily fix this fail fast exception error on your windows computer easily and get rid of this fail fast exception.
Open windows task manager -> Find file explorer and right click on it and select restart and run sfc scan now and chkdsk and restore windows health using dism command.
This can happen due to corrupted or damaged files and Open command prompt as administrator -> Run sfc scannow and chkdsk and restart windows file explorer and update windows computer to latest version.
- Swathi is Content Writer, Author Editorial Team Member at A Savvy Web and She writes about technology troubleshooting guides and helps users to solve issues easily. She has expertise in this area for more than 2+ years of experience.
- She completed her Post Graduation and has an interest in Computers, Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, Smart tv.