How to Fix AMP Image Size Smaller Than Recommended Size Search Console:
AMP is very important for website these days as AMP loads faster than desktop version of the website and these days AMP became very powerful and useful for publishers jumping in to AMP version of the website. Now everything is setup with AMP version and suddenly Google sends a notification to webmasters regarding the image size in AMP saying AMP image size smaller than recommended size and AMP article structure data for the stories carousel, rich results or visual stories, Now AMP image size should be greater than 1200px.
Why AMP Image Size Smaller than Recommendation error all of Sudden:
No this error is not all of sudden and this error or warning is always present since the update of AMP image guidelines get updated. But the webmasters are not notified regarding this error as the structure data also get updated with these guidelines of AMP images.
Since AMP is for mobile version so now a days mobile devices are of big screen and high resolution of around 1900px etc so Google is expecting website owners who are having AMP pages to have their image to be 1200px width and height images on their website as mentioned in their guidelines.
From past few days Google search console fired up these notifications to the website who are having AMP version of the website and having image size less than 1200 px width and height and AMP image guidelines are updated last year mentioning and advising the webmasters and developers having AMP version image size should be greater than or equal to 1200 px wide and height and its documented in AMP image guidelines.
Now search console made these image specific AMP version image dimensions as mandatory & warning and sending notification about AMP image guidelines in search console.
Related Coverage Articles:
How to Fix Image Size Smaller Than Recommended Size:
There are simple ways to fix these AMP image size smaller than recommended size and they are mentioned below:
1. Update your website image to 1200 px width as mentioned by AMP image Guidelines.
2. Just ignore this warning.
What Happens if you Don’t Fix This AMP Image Size Smaller Than Recommended Size:
IF you don’t fix this AMP image size smaller than recommended site then you AMP version of the urls on mobile will not be able to appear in the AMP Carousel or AMP stories or any other enhancements google will be looking in forward to display your AMP pages in organic search results.
Here is the AMP image Guidelines mentioned in AMP image guidelines:
The URL to an image that is representative of the article or AMP story.
Due to format differences in search results, the following image guidelines only apply to general AMP pages, not AMP stories. AMP stories have different requirements for images.
1. Only a marked-up image that directly belongs to the article should be specified.
2. Images should be at least 1200 pixels wide.
3. Every page must contain at least one image (whether or not you include markup). Google will pick the best image to display in Search results based on the aspect ratio and resolution.
4. Image URLs must be crawlable and indexable.
5. Images must represent the marked up content.
6. Images must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
7. For best results, provide multiple high-resolution images (minimum of 800,000 pixels when multiplying width and height) with the following aspect ratios: 16×9, 4×3, and 1×1.